Do you live on the ground floor or do you have a poorly ventilated bathroom? Sometimes there are musty odors that are difficult to remove. Discover the best tricks to neutralize them and also … natural!
Where is the humidity?
The best way to combat humidity is to locate its origin and attack it. If they are damp from a leak, before using any remedy to camouflage the smell, contact a plumber who will locate the problem and solve it. There are several types of humidity: capillarity, filtration, and condensation.
- Moisture by capillarity: The water seeps through the walls and the problem is serious since it implies that the humidity is rising through the walls and you will have to contact an expert.
- Moisture from filtration, most likely you leak a problem for which you will also have to hire a professional to fix it.
- On the other hand, if the humidity is by condensation, it is because the water vapor in the air turns into a liquid when it comes into contact with a cold surface. This is common in bathrooms, kitchens, or houses with poorly insulated windows.
- In this case, apply these tips daily and you will avoid the need to apply more drastic solutions:
- Check smelly places for water leaks.
- Ventilate the house every day for at least 10 minutes
- Change filters on air conditioning and heating vents regularly
- Do not store wet clothes in the cupboards
- Replace or repair moldy surfaces
- Get professional help to fix leaks or leaks
Homemade products to remove the musty smell
Also, before applying any remedy to fight bad odors, we recommend you remove the mold and fix the wall with dampness.
1. COFFEE BEANS, VERY PRACTICAL AGAINST THE SMELL OF HUMIDITY
The grams of both roast and ground coffee has a very strong aroma that can eliminate the musty smell.
Its application is very simple, you just have to put the grams of coffee in a small container and place it inside the spaces with bad smells. Now, if you use ground coffee, it is advisable to store them in a cloth bag.
2. LEMON JUICE, AN EFFECTIVE COMBATANT
The citrus aroma of lemon juice is ideal for eliminating the musty odor that is concentrated in some spaces, especially the kitchen and bathroom.
The way of use is very simple: squeeze a generous amount of juice and combine it in equal parts with warm water. Next, pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray it on bad-smelling places. And ready! By the way, it is a remedy that will also help you remove the musty smell from the towels.
3. CINNAMON, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Cinnamon is an aromatic spice with antimicrobial essential oils. Thus, it is ideal for eliminating a wide variety of microorganisms. Without forgetting its characteristic aroma, very pleasant and perfect to end the bad smell of closed spaces.
Its form of use consists of pouring a little cinnamon powder in cloth bags and putting them in strategic places to maximize its smell. It is also possible to use cinnamon sticks, in this case, it is only necessary to tie several branches with a ribbon and also place them in the chosen places.
4. SEA SALT WORKS TOO
It seems strange to consider sea salt as a product to eliminate bad odors since it does not have a characteristic aroma like the other products mentioned. Thanks to its absorbent power, it is very effective in eliminating humidity.
Simply fill a plate with a generous amount of sea salt and put it in the corner where the most mold accumulates.
5. NATURAL VANILLA ESSENCE
The vanilla is one of the most recommended remedies: home and very effective to eliminate the musty smell. Its strong aroma can eliminate bad smells from places such as the refrigerator or the garbage can, among many others.
You just have to apply a little vanilla essence on the desired surface and rub it with a cloth. It is advisable to do it 3 times a week, at least, to maintain its effect.
6. THE ACTIVE CARBON TRICK
Active carbon can also be a great ally to eliminate the smell of humidity. You just have to place a little bit of activated carbon in a container and place it in the sources of bad smells for a few days. But be careful, it stains a lot.