Should I Get Solar Panels For My House?
The cost of energy is steadily increasing and everyone is looking for ways to save more money on their utility bill. Cutting back on energy use is a solution that doesn’t work for everyone: some people work from home and need to have their home office setup active for most of the day; the sick and infirm might need electrical equipment for assistance; yet others might simply need the air conditioning or heating on to keep comfortable.
A practical solution for many people is the installation of a solar system. A solar panel system can reduce the home’s energy bill and save a lot of money for the duration of the system. Continue reading to find out other benefits of solar installation and if it is right for your house.
Are Solar Panels Practical For My House?
Before considering a solar installation, you should determine if your house can sustain a PV (photovoltaic) system. This means finding out if the roof is structurally sound enough to hold solar panels. If your roof does need some renovation, or will need renovation soon, then you should get that out of the way before installing any panels. That way you will not have to worry about removing and replacing the panels.
If there is significant shade on the roof for much of the day, then you will need to have it removed, if that is possible. Shading will prevent sunlight from reaching the roof and stop the panels from operating at their peak efficiency. The size of your roof is also a factor, smaller roofs may need more energy efficient—and more expensive—panels in order to maximize the amount of sunlight converted into energy. You should also check with the homeowners’ association to find out if a solar installation is permitted.
Reasons to Get Solar Panels For Your House
- They save you money – PV systems last for up to 20 years, but a good system can pay for itself in just 5 years. You will be saving thousands of dollars per year after that.
- Solar prices are falling – solar panels can cost $10,000 to $35,000 but that is much lower than it was even just 10 years ago.
- You can earn tax credits – the government provides a 30% tax rebate to anyone who installs a solar panel on their home. Some local governments—like Los Angeles—also offer their own rewards and incentives.
- They increase your house’s value – if you are thinking about selling your home in the future, a solar installation can add thousands of dollars to its value. This is especially true if you live in an eco-conscious neighborhood.
- They are environmentally friendly – A PV system does not burn any fossil fuels, so it does not release harmful pollutants into the atmosphere. The CO2 reduction caused by a single solar installation is the equivalent of planting hundreds of trees.
- They can make you money – some states allow the use of Solar Renewable Energy Certificates/Credits (SRECs). That is what happens if you generate more energy than you use, you can then sell the excess back to the power company.
Find Out if Solar Panels Are Right For You
Many states strongly encourage the use of solar power, New Jersey and Massachusetts both offer substantial SREC incentives for solar purchases. Solar Installation in Los Angeles is also a good idea because of the state’s SREC program and its Solar Incentive Program.
Even if your city does not offer any significant incentives, a solar panel system can be very beneficial to your home. Call your local solar panel installer to find out if your home is viable, and to get more details on solar installation in your area.