It’s easy to get carried away and start arguing with a truck driver after they crash their truck with your car. And while you have every reason to be upset, arguing isn’t going to help. In fact, it can make you a culprit, and the cops may give you a hard time for misbehavior. We’d advise having a cool head (though that might be difficult) and knowing the right steps to take after a truck accident. From contacting a truck accident lawyer to getting the police report, here are eight important steps you need to take.
Check For Injuries
Even if you don’t feel pain, it’s essential to get a medical examination. There might be internal bleeding, and you won’t know about it until it’s too late. If possible, go to the hospital in an ambulance for proper treatment and documentation. You may also have suffered internal injuries. They might not hurt initially, but you will feel the pain as time passes.
So it makes sense to watch out for these signs of internal injuries:
- Swollen areas: If your arms (and another body part) are swollen, and the affected area has become blue or black, it means you have an internal injury.
- Numbness: If you can’t feel pain or touch some body parts, it may signal nerve damage.
- Internal bleeding: You might not see any blood externally, but there could be internal bleeding.
Other signs include:
- Vomiting blood.
- Passing stools that are black and tarry.
- Coughing up blood.
- Severe abdominal pain.
Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer
It would help if you had an experienced truck accident lawyer on your side to help you with the legal process and get the compensation you deserve. Your lawyer will also negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and make sure you’re not taken advantage of.
Other benefits of hiring a truck accident lawyer include:
- They will build a strong case: An experienced lawyer knows how to collect evidence, including eyewitness statements and accident reconstruction.
- You won’t have to deal with the insurance company: Let your lawyer handle the insurance adjuster. You shouldn’t give the other insurance company a statement without your lawyer present.
- You have a better chance of getting a higher settlement: If you have a solid case, you’re more likely to get a higher A lawyer will also ensure you don’t settle for less than you deserve.
- You don’t have to go to court: Most truck accident cases are settled out of court. But if yours does go to trial, you’ll have a lawyer by your side.
The May Firm truck accident attorneys tell us that it’s crucial to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Trucking companies have teams of lawyers and investigators working on the case from the moment it happens. You need someone in your corner who knows the law and can protect your rights.
Call the Police
Don’t leave the accident scene until the police arrive, even if the truck driver begs you to go. It would help if you had a law enforcement officer create an official report. The police will also talk to witnesses and get their statements. Even if it’s a minor fender bender, it’s a good idea to call the cops.
Get the Truck Driver’s Information
Ensure you get the truck driver’s name, contact information, license plate number, and insurance company name. If possible, take pictures of the truck with your phone.
Exchange Information With Other Drivers
If more than one vehicle is involved in the accident, get the drivers’ names, contact information, license plate numbers, and insurance company names. Again, take photos if you can.
Take Pictures of the Accident Scene
Use your phone to take pictures of the accident scene from different angles. Include pictures of any road damage, traffic signs, vehicles involved in the accident, and injuries sustained. If there are any skid marks on the road, take photos of those too.
Get Witness Information
If anyone saw the accident, get their name, contact information, and statement if possible. The police will also talk to witnesses, but it doesn’t hurt to have an independent account of what happened.
Notify Your Insurance Company
You need to notify your insurance company about the accident immediately. Give them all the details and provide supporting documentation, such as pictures and police reports.
These are crucial steps you need to take after a truck accident. Remember, it’s essential to stay calm and think clearly so that you can take the necessary actions. And if you need help, don’t hesitate to contact a truck accident lawyer.