20 Genius Vintage Life Hacks From The 1900s That Are Still Applicable Today (Part 1)
The internet is full of life hacks and DIY ideas that can show you how to do just about anything but these things are anything but new.
Even though the actual term ‘life hacks’ is relatively new, such tips and hints have been known for a very long time. Normally, you wouldn’t expect to look for advice on a piece of paper dating back to the 1900s but we are here to change your mind.
Back then, cigarette companies used stiff paper in their cigarette packs in order to preserve the strength of the package. These used to be blank papers or simply had the name of the company printed on them until someone at Gallaher’s Cigarettes came up with the idea of printing ‘How To Do It’ cards.
In this collection, we are going to show you 20 Genius Vintage Life Hacks From The 1900s That Are Still Applicable Today (Part 1). These life hacks have been collected over time and recently, they were digitized and made available online as part of the New York Public Library’s George Arents Collection. You can check it out if you want to find the entire collection or alternatively, you can stick with us as we show you some of the most useful or fun ones. Don’t be fooled by their age because these cards contain some pretty awesome tips that you might make use of any day. Enjoy!
1. How to extract a splinter
2. How to light a match in the wind
3. How to pull out long nails
4. How to use coins for measurements
5. How to tell the points of the compass with a watch
6. How to treat sprains
7. Make a homemade fire extingusher
8. Carrying a heavy jug the right way
9. Detect escaping gas
10. A hint for boiling potatoes
11. Make corks fit
12. Cooling wine when no ice is available
13. A hint for boiling cracked eggs
14. How to kill a tree stump
15. Preserve your valuable vases
16. Remove sea stains from brown shoes
17. Make a very simple gate latch
18. Simple way to clean an oil painting
19. How to determine the quality of butter
20. Draw a circle without a compass