If you need a dessert that is enough for many, we can warmly recommend this delicious cake that is a pure dream with its sweet meringue base and healthy lemon curd filling. Top with a generous dose of summer berries!
Tip! If you want to make a smaller cake – divide one meringue base in two and save the other in the oven or a dry pantry. (Keeps fresh for several weeks) Use the same amount of filling for a fluffier cake!
Meringue cake in a pan filled with lemon curd and all the berries of the summer
- 8 egg whites
- 4 dl caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 liters of fresh strawberries
- 5-6 dl lactose-free whipped cream
- 200 g of Philadelphia cheese
- 1.5 dl icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Mixed berries to your taste for decoration
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 dl caster sugar
- 2 lemons (1 dl lemon juice)
- 100 g of butter
- Mix eggs, egg yolks, and sugar with a hand whisk.
- Wash the lemons, finely grate the peel and squeeze out the juice.
- Place the bowl of egg and sugar mixture in a saucepan of barely simmering water, creating a water bath method. Add grated lemon peel and freshly squeezed lemon juice to the bowl.
- Stir the mixture continuously over the water bath until the cream thickens. It takes about 15 minutes.
- When the cream has thickened, remove the bowl from the water bath and add the butter in pieces. Stir until the butter melts completely and the cream becomes smooth and even.
- Allow the cream to cool and then store it in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 125° C (convection) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the caster sugar a little at a time while continuing to beat. Beat until the meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks. Add the lemon juice towards the end and beat for another moment.
- Spread the meringue batter onto the prepared baking trays and spread evenly. Bake both plates at the same time in the oven for about 1-1.5 hours. After baking, turn off the oven and leave the bases to cool in the oven.
- Prepare the filling by rinsing, cleaning, and chopping about 1-1.5 liters of strawberries into small pieces. Then set them aside. Also, rinse the other berries you have chosen to decorate the cake with.
- Beat cream (preferably lactose-free as the cake will not be as mastic), Philadelphia cheese, icing sugar, and vanilla sugar with an electric whisk until it becomes a firm fluffy foam. Carefully fold the chopped strawberries into the filling and mix evenly.
- Place a meringue base on a serving plate or plate and spread your lemon curd. Then spread over half of the other filling with strawberries and cream. Carefully place the second meringue base and spread the rest of the strawberry filling on top. Decorate with extra strawberries and other berries to taste.
Now your delicious meringue cake with lemon curd and berries is ready to enjoy!