Fabric sofas, armchairs, and carpets are popular choices for many homeowners. But when you’re investing in new furniture, you’ll want to make sure that things stay clean and look their best for as long as possible. Unfortunately, spills are unavoidable and you may find yourself battling one or the other food or drink stain soon enough. Read on to find out some of the top cleaning hacks for fabric sofas and soft furnishings.
1. Protect your fabric couch by investing in a good cover
Over time, the fabric on your sofa may look worn and lose some of its color. To avoid discoloration, damage and to minimize stains from spillage, invest in a cover. When the little ones or your guests accidentally drop some pasta, you can simply remove the cover and put it in the washer to banish stains.
2. Treat stains immediately and using the right products
Whether it’s coffee, wine or tomato sauce – stains on carpets and fabric sofas should be treated immediately. Pick up any larger chunks and blot wet stains with a paper or kitchen towel.
- Coffee stains: Coffee is notoriously difficult to get out. To remove coffee stains from carpets and armchairs, dab the spot dry and then apply a specialist carpet or upholstery cleaner to the area. A more detailed guide about how to remove coffee stains from carpets can be found on this page.
- Wine stains: Much like coffee, wine is known to leave some nasty stains if not treated properly. You’ll want to treat stains quickly. Dab them dry, blot them with a little soda water and use a specialist cleaning solution on soft furnishings.
- Tomato sauce stains: Treat the area as above and then use a clean sponge to blot the stain with a water and detergent solution. Rinse the spot with cold water and pat it dry. You may have to repeat the process to get rid of the stain permanently.
3. Refresh upholstery and carpets with bicarbonate of soda
Bicarbonate of soda is a great tool to revive worn and smelly sofas, armchairs and carpets. Not only does it neutralize odors, it also eliminates stains. Simply follow these steps to give your soft furnishings a little refresh:
- Pretreat and clean any larger stains.
- Vacuum the upholstery or carpet to pick up larger pieces of dirt.
- Apply bicarbonate of soda by sprinkling it across the furniture.
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Vacuum it until no bicarbonate of soda remains.
4. Vinegar solution for tough stains
Another useful home cleaning hack to treat stains fast and efficiently is to use a mixture of warm water (1 cup) and vinegar (half a cup) with a dash of dish soap. Vinegar is a known natural stain remover. Mix the ingredients together in a spray bottle and apply to the stain. Blot the spot and follow things up with some warm water to remove the smell of the vinegar. Allow it to dry and repeat if necessary.