Leather boots can be as stylish and beautiful as they are durable, but if you want to highlight the best features of your boots or truly make a statement, you’ll need to know the best style and fashion tips for this type of apparel. What are the best ways to make the most of your quality leather boots?
How to Make the Most of Your Leather Boots
These are some of the best ways to show off and fully utilize your leather boots:
- Use leather conditioner and creams. Many people purchase leather boots specifically because they know that leather is a tough and durable material, but that leather isn’t going to look its best unless you take good care of it. One of the best ways to care for leather is to apply a leather conditioner, which is a specific product designed to moisturize and add shine to your footwear. It’s a process that doesn’t take long, and you should only have to do it once a month, but it can keep your leather boots looking like new. Leather creams are similar, but they’re designed more for treating stains, scuffs, and other blemishes.
- Clean your boots after each wear. It’s a good idea to give your boots a light cleaning after you wear them. If they suffered significant staining or damage, this is your chance to address it before it becomes permanent; this is especially important if you’ve sustained salt stains, or if the boots have been exposed to the elements. However, even if the weather is perfectly fine, it doesn’t hurt to give your boots a light dusting. Doing so can keep your leather in better condition for longer and make it look better as part of your overall ensemble.
- Keep using a boot tree. Do you have a boot tree? If not, now is the time to invest in one. This simple device simulates a foot in each boot so they maintain their shape for a longer time. You can avoid most creases, folds, and other minor instances of damage that can befall boots when not properly stored. Also, store your boots in a place that’s not too humid and not too dry.
- Show off some ankle. Choose pants that allow you to show off some ankle at the top of your boot. Flashing a bit of ankle can be a stylish way to make yourself look taller and more attractive.
- Tailor your pants to avoid bunching. If you have pants that cover the tops of your boots, one of your biggest limiting factors is going to be bunching; the material at the bottom of your pants can bunch up, ruining the image of your outfit. The easiest way to avoid this is to tailor your pants – and tailoring is cheaper than you think.
- Exercise caution with over-the-knee boots. Over skinny jeans or tights, over-the-knee boots can look amazing. However, they also run the risk of looking tacky when paired with other clothing items. Exercise caution when experimenting.
- Pair short boots with long dresses. Complementary fashion items can instantly make you look better, so consider pairing short boots with long dresses. This effect is especially powerful if your dress color contrasts with the color of your boots.
- Use some unexpected colors. Speaking of colors, consider flashing some unexpected colors into your outfit. Consider choosing leather boots with an abnormal color, or use bright splashes of color in the rest of your ensemble.
- (Bonus) use plastic to glide on tall leather boots. Here’s a bonus tip for wearing leather boots (though it’s not directly about fashion): use plastic to help “glide” on tall leather boots. If you don’t have zippers or stretch panels to help make this process easier, an old dry cleaning bag or plastic wrap can get the job done.
Expanding Your Boot Collection
Leather boots can be incredibly versatile, but as we’ve seen, some applications are better than others. If you want to have a leather boot for every occasion and most of your outfits, you may need to expand your boot collection. Tall boots and short boots function very differently, as do heels and flats. And of course, each style and color of leather is going to add something different to your wardrobe.
None of this means that you need to go out and buy 10 new pairs of leather boots today, but if you’re interested in expanding your wardrobe and having more versatile clothing options, diversifying your boot selection is a possibility worth considering.
In the meantime, focus on the leather boots you currently have and how those boots fit with the rest of your wardrobe.