20 Genius Vintage Life Hacks From The 1900s That Are Still Applicable Today (Part 2)
Life hacks and DIY ideas are incredibly popular nowadays thanks to the opportunity to share ideas through the internet. But they are nothing new to the real world. Life hacks have been around since forever probably, except that some time ago, they were simply referred to as tips or hints to do something the easier way.
As we’ve already shown you in the first part of this collection, Gallaher’s Cigarettes have made use of the stiffening paper in their cigarette packs by printing it with various, useful and fun ideas. They called these papers the ‘How to do it’ cards because of the tips that they contained. People seemed to love them which is one of the main reasons why they were preserved from the 1900s until today. Although, if it wasn’t for New York Public Library’s George Arents Collection we probably wouldn’t have known about them. They digitized and published them online for everyone to see.
Welcome to the second part of this collection, where you’ll see 20 Genius Vintage Life Hacks From The 1900s That Are Still Applicable Today (Part 2). We thought our fans would love to know of these useful, and sometimes fun, life hacks that date back to the early years of the previous century. The best part about them is that their age doesn’t make them obsolete in the very least. Feel free to take note of any of the following life hacks if you feel like the tips that they show you might come in handy one day. Enjoy!
1. How to clean real lace
2. Cut new bread into thin slices with ease
3. How to adjust a door
4. Revive cut flowers
5. Make a water fountain for chicks
6. How to judge if a lobster is fresh enough
7. Treat squeaky boots
8. How to remove a stuck glass stopper
9. Draw an ellipse with a string
10. Detect dampness in the bed
11. Pick up broken glass without cutting yourself
12. How to clean your new boots
13. How to remove a tight ring
14. Remove ink stains from a handkerchief
15. How to fit a large candle
16. Keep the handle of a paint brush clean
17. Clean bottles with sand and water
18. Useful knots
19. How to separate glass tumblers
20. Prevent eye glasses from steaming