The 1980s were a remarkable era marked by neon lights, bold fashion choices, and unforgettable music. It was a decade that left an indelible mark on pop culture, and for many, it’s a time they fondly remember. If you’re a child of the 80s or just a fan of its unique charm, get ready to embark on a nostalgic journey like no other. Buckle up; it’s time for an 80’s 80s-style trip that will blow your mind!
Rewind Your Wardrobe: Fashion That Screams ’80s
The 80s were all about expressing yourself through fashion, often in the most extravagant ways possible. To recreate the iconic style of the era, start by raiding your closet or local thrift stores for some essential pieces:
- Neon Colors: Think hot pink, electric blue, and neon green. Incorporate these colors into your wardrobe through t-shirts, leggings, or even windbreakers.
- Shoulder Pads: No 80s outfit was complete without those power-packed shoulder pads. Throw on a blazer or a dress with exaggerated shoulder silhouettes.
- Leg Warmers: Don’t forget the leg warmers! These were a staple in any 80s aerobics class and can add a fun, retro touch to your outfit.
- High-Waisted Jeans: Mom jeans, anyone? High-waisted jeans or pants were all the rage back then and can be a comfortable addition to your 80s-inspired look.
- Accessorize Liberally: Big hoop earrings, chunky belts, and scrunchy hair ties were all the rage. Mix and match to your heart’s content.
Set the Soundtrack: A Playlist for the Ages
One of the most iconic aspects of the 80s is its music. Create a killer playlist featuring some of the decade’s biggest hits and dance your heart out. Here are some must-have tracks for your 80s-style trip:
- Michael Jackson – “Billie Jean”
- Madonna – “Like a Virgin”
- Prince – “Purple Rain”
- Bon Jovi – “Livin’ on a Prayer”
- Cyndi Lauper – “Girls Just Want to Have Fun”
- The Police – “Every Breath You Take”
Whether you’re hosting an 80s-themed party or just jamming out in your living room, these tracks will transport you back to the era of big hair and even bigger hits.
Movie Night: Classic 80s Films
To fully immerse yourself in the 80s experience, plan a movie night with some of the decade’s most iconic films. Here are a few you can’t miss:
- “The Breakfast Club” (1985): This John Hughes classic explores the dynamics of high school stereotypes and remains relevant today.
- “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” (1982): Spielberg’s heartwarming tale of friendship between a young boy and an alien is a must-watch.
- “Back to the Future” (1985): Join Marty McFly and Doc Brown on a time-traveling adventure that’s as hilarious as it is exciting.
Glow in the Dark: Blacklight Party
Host a blacklight party, an 80s favorite. Decorate your space with neon-colored posters and streamers, and encourage your guests to wear white or fluorescent clothing that will glow under the black light. Add some neon face paint for an extra touch of authenticity.