What You Need To Know To Start Quilting
Are you looking for a new hobby to develop? Quilting might be something that you want to try. It might seem intimidating at first, but it can be very fulfilling. If you are determined to start, you can visit QuiltersReview.com for some great tips that can assist you during the beginning of your quilting journey.
You can also read on for some important information that you need to know before you start quilting.
- There are many types of quilting -There are so many types of quilts that you won’t run out of designs to do! You can go for a basic quilt where you just piece blocks of fabric together. An applique quilt, meanwhile, is different because you sew the pieces on top of a fabric that is larger. You can do a lot of things with this technique. You can even create a picture. Another type of quilt is a charm quilt, where you use a different type of fabric for every piece of the quilt. It can be a laborious task but you can be sure to come up with a completely unique piece.
- You need to familiarize yourself with the terms – While quilting is mainly a physical activity, you will still need to study and familiarize yourself with the terms that you will be encountering. Knowing the quilting terms will make it easier when you read instructional manuals, watch videos or enroll in quilting classes. Some of the terms you need to know include batting, backing fabric, etc.
- Investing in quality tools goes a long way – When buying the materials, don’t buy cheap ones. If you are serious about taking up quilting, then buy tools that are made to last. Some of the basic tools that you will be investing in include a self-healing mat, a quilting ruler, seam ripper, sewing scissors, thread, rotary cutter and pins for when you start piecing your quilt together. It’s also important to choose the right fabric. Don’t just get the first design that catches your eye. For beginners, the experts suggest that the best fabric for beginners is 100% cotton fabric.
- You don’ t need to tackle a big project right away – While there’s nothing wrong with creating a large quilt which you can pass on to your children, if you are just a beginner, it’s better to stick to small projects first. You can start with a cushion cover first before you move on to bigger projects. You should also master the basic designs and techniques first before you try more complicated projects. You can find many designs online for your first project.
- You will have to be patient – Quilting can be a time-consuming hobby. Unless you are only tackling small projects, expect to spend weeks or longer when quilting. It’s important to be patient. The most time-consuming part of a project would have to be cutting your fabric. It can feel tedious, but you need to be meticulous at this stage. Make sure that each piece matches with each other, or else the whole look of your quilt will mismatch.