An Alkaline Diet Has Pros, but There Is No Proof You Can Change Your pH Level
Also known as the Alkaline Acid Diet, the alkaline diet promises to change your body’s pH level. We’ve seen references to this diet in almost every college paper so far. However, does this diet really change your pH? Are there any trustworthy studies conducted by authorities in the field to support this claim? Yes, the alkaline diet has many benefits, but it will not change your body’s pH level. There are simply no studies that can conclusive show that this diet can do what it claims. However, don’t let this fact dissuade you from trying. As we stated earlier, there are many other benefits to adhering to this diet.
The Pros of the Alkaline Diet
The diet is based on the idea that if you eat foods that are alkaline in nature (with a pH value of 7 to 14), your body will change its pH to be more alkaline. However, there are no studies that show conclusive evidence that this occurs. Remember that the pH of your body varies significantly from one part to another. The stomach is acidic, while the blood is slightly alkaline. Urine can be either acidic or alkaline, and this depends on what you eat. However, even though your urine is alkaline, it doesn’t mean that your body has changed its pH level. However, here are some of the benefits of the alkaline diet:
- Because you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables (which are alkaline), you will get all the benefits from them. This means increased vitamin and mineral intake, which is very important for your health.
- Fruits and vegetables are high in fibers, so you will have a better digestion. Your diet will be more balanced.
- You must avoid meat, dairy, and eggs. Also, you must keep away from sugary drinks and salty foods. By avoiding these foods during the alkaline diet, you have a very good chance to lose weight pretty quickly.
- An alkaline diet is very low in saturated fats. In other words, you decrease the risk for cardiovascular disease and sudden death.
- Fruits and vegetables are shows to improve your metabolism, improve your immunity, and even fight certain forms of cancer.
- An alkaline diet will help you get more energy because you will consume foods that are high in minerals and vitamins.
Does It Really Change Your pH Level?
The pH value can be anything from 0 to 14. From 0 to 7, the pH is acidic. From 7 to 14, the pH is alkaline, also called basic. And of course, 7 is a neutral pH. The alkaline diet will have you eating as many foods with a pH between 7 and 14 as possible. And these foods are generally fruits and veggies. Even though the diet will surely change the pH of your urine, it will not change the pH of your entire body. Your stomach will still be acidic and your blood will remain slightly alkaline. In general, most physicians and bodybuilding experts recommend a healthy, varied diet. In other words, dairy, eggs and meat all have their place in your diet. Animal protein is very important for the human body as well. Robbing your body of the important nutrients contained by meat, eggs and dairy is not the best idea, especially if you are an active person – not to mention a bodybuilder.
In conclusion, the alkaline diet is a very healthy diet because it forces you to eat mostly fruit and vegetables. However, there is no conclusive evidence that the alkaline diet will make your blood or other parts of your body more alkaline. Also, there is no evidence that eliminating dairy, meat and eggs completely has benefits. The alkaline diet will, however, help you get a lot more vitamins and minerals by increasing the amount of veggies and fruits you are consuming. However, please note that most dietary experts recommend a balanced diet that also includes meat, eggs and dairy. Vegetables and fruits don’t contain many of the important nutrients that the human body needs to function correctly. And yes, this includes fat as well, according to various custom dissertations. Did you know that the human body cannot function without fat? Food for thought!